The Talon

Twenty three cadets participated in the Legacy Trees Project at Mercer Botanical Gardens on January 30th, removing invasive species in the area to help the native plant life.

MCJROTC Helps Environment by Clearing Invasive Plants

Claudia New, Writer April 9, 2021

On Jan. 30, twenty-three cadets in the ROTC program participated in the Legacy Trees Project at Mercer Botanic Gardens to clear the environment of invasive plants harmful to native species.   “Cadets...

Why are teens bad readers?

April 1, 2021

Teens today are more focused on social media and their smartphones. So what does this say about their reading? Today less than 20% of the United States teens read while the other 80% use their extra time...

Atascocita MCJROTC competed at the Brenham High School Drill Meet on Dec. 5 and earned the First Place Overall Grand Champion Trophy. Additionally, they placed second in academics, Female Color Guard, Male Color Guard, Armed Regulation Drill, Armed Exhibition Drill, Unarmed Exhibition Drill, Female Physical Training, and Male Physical Training. Their Marksmanship Team earned third place.

MCJROTC Overall Grand Championship

Claudia New, Writer February 26, 2021

  The Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (MCJROTC) program recently competed in a drill meet on December 5th, where they earned First Place Overall Grand Champion trophy. Participating...

Orchestra State Students

Brook Klema, Writer February 4, 2021

Two orchestra students have qualified for State for a second time. Kristen Karamihan on harp made second chair and Anthony Chavezplata on double bass made tenth chair.  What interested you in Orchestra?  Senior...

Students vs. Sleep: Why Kids Aren’t Getting Enough Sleep

Claudia New, Writer January 15, 2021

As the world keeps advancing, people are finding new ways to connect with each other. Students, however, are having trouble getting enough sleep at night, which impacts their performance at school...

National Honor Society ( NHS)

National Honor Society ( NHS)

Brook Klema , writer December 16, 2020

The National Honor Society (NHS) is one of the many organizations on campus. Here is what I learned about this program when I interviewed Sponsor Katie Spence. Q: What is the purpose of NHS? A: NHS...

Bree Caldwell and Gabby Macnamara take pictures of the damage in their town with a sign reading

Louisiana Hurricane Relief

Amelia Lackey, Writer December 9, 2020

Recently, Louisiana has been destroyed by two hurricanes, Hurricane Laura and Hurricane Delta. The damage is disastrous with many towns in ruins. There is so much being done to help Louisiana citizens...

Seniors Journey

Brook Klema, Writer December 2, 2020

The year of 2020 has been a year of limitations for our seniors. Whether academic or personal, seniors are still finding ways this year to achieve their goals. “I have still tried to keep rigorous...

The Jobs of Virtual and In-person Teachers

Claudia New, Writer December 1, 2020

Though many students are back at school, there are still some who have decided to stay strictly virtual. In response to the need for teachers to accommodate both types of student, many have been tasked...

Students pray before class, asking God to work in our school. They hope for the gospel, the Good News of Christ's love, to spread like wildfire in our school.

AHS Prayer Meetings

Amelia Lackey, Writer November 10, 2020

For a little over a month, a group of students have been meeting at the school flagpole three days a week in the morning. What started as a gathering of three people has grown to 13 in seven weeks.  Sophomore...

Load More Stories
Activate Search
The student news site of Atascocita High School
News