The student news site of Atascocita High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Restorative Practices Promote Changes to Advisory Classes

Engaged in a lively hallway circle discussion about substance abuse, Mrs. Howsmon’s advisory class fosters open communication. With a thumbs-up freshmen, Taytum Kimball passes the talking tool—a red stress ball—to freshman, Haven Harrington, enabling him to contribute thoughtful dialogue and active participation. (Photo by Sarene Andrius-Walker)

In order to foster a positive school environment and build stronger communities, teachers will hold restorative practices in their advisory classes.
This innovative approach aims to cultivate empathy, resolve conflicts and promote respectful communication among students, ultimately leading to a more inclusive school atmosphere. Restorative practices involve a set of strategies and activities designed to rebuild relationships within the school community.
“We wanted to shift our approach from demanding to transformative,” support counselor Jennifer Burch said. “Restorative practices enable us to address the root causes of conflicts, promote empathy and empower students to take responsibility for their actions and make positive changes.”
During the advisory period, students share their thoughts and feelings, learn about active listening and develop conflict-resolution skills. This process helps build trust and mutual understanding. The decision to implement restorative practices stems from a desire to address issues like bullying and student misconduct more effectively.
“It’s all about if [students] can have that conversation to be heard and acknowledged,” Burch said. “That’s what’s important.”
In addition to addressing conflicts, restorative practices are also being utilized proactively. Circles and community-building activities are conducted a few days a week to foster a sense of belonging and to cultivate a positive school culture. These initiatives hope to promote empathy, respect and understanding among students and staff, creating an environment where everyone feels valued and supported.
“Whether you are actively discussing or just listening to discussions you’re still actively participating, and that’s community building,” Burch said.
Restorative Practices were implemented last year in a few advisory classes. CTE Teacher Monika Wiggins found that restorative practices created a stronger bond amongst students in her classroom.
“My classes were more interactive,” Wiggins said. “My students were often sad, but they began to show those smiles and confidence was restored.”
These developmental approaches have also had a ripple effect on the school climate, according to Burch. With the evolving success from restorative practices this school year, other schools in the district have adopted this approach.
“The implementation of restorative practices stands as a shining example of how a commitment to inclusivity and empathy can create a nurturing educational environment for all,” Burch said.