The student news site of Atascocita High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

2021 Alumni Named Band Company commander at VMI

Virginia Military Institute recently announced ranks for the 185th Regiment for the 2024-25 academic year.
John+Kennedy
Class of 2021 John Kennedy is named Band Company commander of the 185th Regiment at the Virginia Military Institute for the 2024-25 academic year.

John F. Kennedy has been named Band Company commander. A cello player from Humble, Texas, Kennedy chose to come to VMI because he wanted to attend the toughest school in the nation. He applied for the company commander position because every member in Band Company has touched his life, and he wants to give back in the form of a great year.

“My goal is to integrate smoothly with the new band director, as well as the new commandant,” Kennedy said. “I want to give the Band rats a Rat Line that instills honor, brotherhood, and a desire to always strive for self-improvement.”

One of Kennedy’s favorite quotes, “Life’s not fair,” comes from his grandfather, John W. Phillips, who was a great influence on Kennedy.

“My grandfather gave all of himself to put his posterity in a position to succeed,” Kennedy said. “His memory is a constant reminder to work hard so that his gifts are not squandered.”

Kennedy is the son of Jenny and Eric Kennedy. He attended Atascocita High School, and will commission into the Army upon graduating.