The student news site of Atascocita High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Twitter’s Iconic Logo Undergoes Change

When Twitter changed their name to X on July 24, Elon Musk said that the rebranding wasn’t just a logo change, it was a change to the overall app to make it the “Everything app.” Ever since Elon Musk bought Twitter on Oct. 27, 2022, he hinted that the logo would change.

“We shall bid adieu to the twitter brand and, gradually, all the birds,” Musk tweeted.

He also called for users to post their best “X” logo for a chance for their design to be picked. Musk has also said that tweets will now be called Xs. He changed the name simply because Musk likes the letter X. Even two of his children’s names have an Xs in them: X Æ A-12 and Exa Dark Sideræl.

Not many people are welcoming the change because the Twitter logo has been a staple for many years. The blue bird icon was 17 years old. Some say it “made sense”to be called Twitter because people would tweet just like birds. Yet, Musk has responded positively to the mixed opinions.

“Frankly, I love the negative feedback on this platform,” he tweeted on July 22. “Vastly preferable to some sniffy censorship bureau!”

Now, the app is more than that.

“Twitter was acquired by X Corp both to ensure freedom of speech and as an accelerant for X, the everything app,” Musk said.

Last June when Musk took over, he told Twitter employees that the app should be more like China’s WeChat. He said users “basically live on” the app because “it’s so usable and helpful to daily life.”
This change may present a challenge for Musk.

“While Musk’s vision is to turn ‘X’ into an ‘everything app,’ this takes time, money, and people,” research director and Vice President Mike Proulx said. “Three things that the company no longer has.”

Mike Proulux leads Forrester’s CMO research team that focuses on the top issues and opportunities about marketing executives.
X now lets users engage in live audio conversations, send longer text messages and broadcast videos. For now the app hasn’t had any new drastic updates, staying true to what Musk said.